As part of the Autism Funding Program families have the opportunity to choose service providers who best meet the needs of their child.

When hiring, choose professionals with the appropriate qualifications, training and experience and who can provide the treatment approach that best fits the needs of your child and family.

Understand what each person on your child’s team will be doing, how much time they will spend with you and your child, and the cost of their services. You should have a written contract with all professionals.

Get to Know Autism Service Providers

Behaviour Analyst and/or Behaviour Consultants

Behaviour Analysts and Behaviour Consultants are professionals who conduct assessments, develop an individualized Behaviour Plan of Intervention (BPI), train parents and interventionists, and monitor and oversee treatment programs, which include verbal behaviour, social skills, daily living skills and, difficult behaviours.

Behaviour Analysts and Behaviour Consultants who are listed on the British Columbia Registry of Autism Service Providers (RASP) have demonstrated the necessary education and experience in the field of Applied Behaviour Analysis and autism. The difference between a Behaviour Consultant and a Behaviour Analyst is that an Analyst has been certified through the Behaviour Analyst Certification Board. Analysts and Consultants may also conduct Functional Behaviour Assessments and design support plans for problem behaviour.

Speech-Language Pathologists

A Speech-Language Pathologist is a registered professional who works with people who have problems with communication, helping them understand and use speech, language, written language, non-verbal communication, and alternative communication technology. A Speech-Language Pathologist can provide assessment, diagnosis, consultation, and intervention/treatment. They can also provide expertise with skills like eating, drinking and swallowing.

Occupational Therapists

The primary goal of occupational therapy is to enhance an individual’s ability to participate in everyday life activities or modify the environment to better support participation. An Occupational Therapist can provide assessment, diagnosis, consultation, and intervention/treatment with activities like play, dressing, feeding, school readiness, printing, keyboarding, social skills, and ability to cope and work. An Occupational Therapist examines and addresses motor, perceptional, social and/or sensory challenges.

Physical Therapists

A Physical Therapist is a registered professional whose goal is to improve quality of life by promoting mobility, physical activity and overall health and wellness. A physical therapist manages acute and chronic conditions, activity and participation limitations while improving and maintaining functional independence and physical performance.

Behaviour Interventionists

A Behaviour Interventionist practices under the close supervision of a Behavior Analyst/Consultant, Speech Language Pathologist or Occupational Therapist. The Behaviour Interventionist is primarily responsible for implementing the intervention plan (e.g., the BPI) developed by the supervising professional(s), and may also collect data and conduct simple assessments. The Behaviour Interventionist does not have the qualifications to work in isolation or design and adjust intervention plans. The tasks performed will be based on his or her training, experience, and competence. The supervisor is ultimately responsible for the work performed by the Behaviour Interventionist.